At the core of our desires is living a life of purpose and meaning.
At the core of a life of purpose and meaning is being of service to others.
At the core of being of service to others is finding peace and happiness.
At the core of finding peace and happiness, we discover who we are.
And to do that, we must get over a little irony, that most of us hardly know – much less, know well – the single person we have spent every second of our existence with, our own selves.
Think you’re the exception? Let me ask you then: how well do you know yourself ?
We are not talking about taking a personality test or learning about your family history. Neither are we talking about your favorite colors, your best childhood friend or your high school prom experience (thank goodness about the last one ;)).
We are talking about something much greater and of higher consequence.
We are talking about who you are at your core, what most matters to you, what makes you come alive, what feeds your soul and what drains your spirit, and how to know the difference so you choose well as you move forward in life.
If you don’t know yourself all that well, you may still live a life in alignment with who you are but only by accident or some sheer stroke of luck.
And that, my darling, is too big a risk to take, so shall we eliminate the risk altogether?
Make it a certainty that you live in alignment with who you are not by accident or luck, but rather on purpose, by intention, by design.
How? By getting to know yourself really really well. One way to do that is to learn your values, passions and goals . Another is to ask the right questions.
Here are just 29 questions that open the door to having a real conversation with yourself. I want to ask you to answer these questions honestly for yourself.
1. What activity in your life lights you up with joy?
2. What is something you always love doing, even when you are tired or rushed? Why?
3. If a relationship or job makes you unhappy, do you choose to stay or leave?
4. What do you fear about leaving a
bad job or a bad relationship?
5. What do you believe is possible for you?
6. What have you done in your life that you are most proud of?
7. What is the thing that you are second most proud of?
8. What kind of legacy do you want to leave behind?
9. How does your being here in the universe change humanity for the better?
10. If you could have one single wish granted, what would it be?
11. How comfortable are you with your own mortality?
12. What is your highest core value?
13. To your best knowledge, how do other people perceive you?
14. How would you like others to perceive you?
15. How confident are you in your abilities to make decisions for yourself?
16. What is your biggest self-limiting belief ?
17. Who is the most important person in your life?
18. Who is your greatest role model?
19. Who is a person that you don’t like yet you spend time with?
20. What is something that is true for you no matter what?